Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Oh Justice League...How you tempt me

Instead of writing, I've been watching old episodes of Justice League and Justice League Unlimited. More specifically the episode where Solomon Grundy died fighting the Cthulu knock off. Then I watched a few clips of Superman kicking the crap out of Darkseid and Batman avoiding the Omega Beams (Stupid Final Crisis writers).

At any rate, things like this actually do more than simply distract me from what I -should- be doing (namely writing); they get my brain working overtime. See, I grew up with these cartoons, even if it was mostly in my teens. They hold a special place for me because they are what I aspire to. I see something with superheroes like this, and it makes me wonder if I can reach the same level of recognition with something I've created.

Of course my low self-worth keeps me from dreaming much like this, but meh...it keeps me going I suppose.

I've been working on the idea for the novel today, letting it run around in my head. The basic premise is pretty much like this:

Since it was originally slated to be developed as a video game (I may still go that route after I write the novel) I may keep some elements in there the same, such as extra characters, and the same sort of feel in the writing that I would've had if things were a bit more ...interactive? I dunno. Bah, I'm starting to ramble.

It follows the story of a guy named Daniel (my working name for any main male characters) on a cruise ship going up the western coast towards Alaska. Originally, my thought was to have it be sort of a 'vacation' for mental patients of varrying degress of their ailments with theor doctors as a means of therapy. Daniel was afflicted with a bit of agoraphobia (fear of leaving the house) because of certain things that happened in his life leading up to that point.

On the night of the 2nd day at sea, things start to hit the fan, and that's when all the 'horror' begins. My origianl idea had it play like Haunting Ground and the Clock Tower Series: Hide > Fight. If you fought, chances were you died. I wanted to focus on escape and avoidance, and mix in a lot of adventure elements. How to portray that in a book?

Also, there were 4 'boss' characters I wanted to add to the game, and each one would be linked to a part of Daniel's past, and defeating them in the conventional manner was generally out of the question; it would be all about Daniel and his hangups. The only problem is I never thought WHY is this happening to him.

I've been sitting here for about 3 hours now, and I still have no idea. Maybe I'll try again tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment