Thursday, April 16, 2009

What am I afraid of?

I honestly don't know. I look at the bit for the novel I wrote, and I know it needs some major re-writing...only I'm not even sure I -want- to write a novel to be perfectly honest.

It seems a good idea: Take an idea, embellish it, elongate it, add in some extra spice, and then sell to the general public. Only....I dunno if I can really write like that. It's not a matter of focus or length; my comics and game ideas are heavily detailed and a few are quite 'epic' in length.

So what is it? What is the mental block I have with writing novels? I think it's the overall scope, but it could also be that they are daunting...with comics and such, you have self contained bits of the story, and can even move forward (not so much in games, but you interject actual gameplay for story elements) in time and skip a few mundane things. Sure you can do it in novels, but those are often referred to as 'plot holes' :P

I dunno, I'm weird. I write in a disjointed fashion, because I'm used to it. Writing a novel means I have to write consistently, and keep track of what I've got already all the time. It's nerve-wracking, but it's kinda fun. I just dunno if it's really for me. I enjoy the other things: web comics, comic books, video games...those are my real passion.

Honestly, writing a novel seems like a cop out...I think that's my real problem with it. It feels like I'm trying to conform my ideas into something that can be sold and made money from.

I dunno how I feel about it.

2 comments:

  1. Write your passion.

    If you write something just because you feel it's what you should do, you'll never ever be happy.

    You won't be happy with what you write, and sooner or later you won't be happy with yourself either.

    Write your passion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's a tongue twister hidden there somewhere, I can feel it :P

    ReplyDelete