Thursday, June 25, 2009

Fame is Relative

So, this post is for Fiona :P Inside joke, so there ya go XD

Although, she did give me the idea for today's post. I've got a page from the next Anthology for the Alberta Comic Group that I'll put up later, but I wanted to talk about something else first:

Fame.

Now, this is something that I feel is highly subjective, and entirely relative. Of course, I've met 'famous' people before...but what qualifies? When I was a kid, I was on the Ranger Charlie and Rosco Show on local channel KSTW 11. I was -stoked- not only was I going to be on TV (sorta) but I was gonna meet someone FAMOUS.

I was about 10-12 at the time, and I knew the raccoon was a guy with a puppet. Anyway, it was even cooler because not only did I get to sit quietly while they taped the show (the kids of the 'audience' actually sat around the cabin in the stage like a campfire) and watch cartoons during the breaks, but I got juice and a cookie. And for a kid who's mom was stingy when it came to treats, that was great...but the best part was I actually got to be ON Television in a 'speaking role' because I got to ask the guest that day a question.

I was so damn proud of myself, and sadly no one thought to tape it, but for a short time, I was famous to all my friends. Then the next week I was a nobody again :P

So, I guess I got a taste for being in the spotlight, and craved more. So I guess you could say my interest in acting, directing (for a short stint in high school...I actually won an award for Best Director at one competition I couldn't even go to), and finally writing was born from that singular moment, but really all I guess I wanted was some recognition for my works and what I've done and am going to do. Which sort of brings me to my initial point: Fame is relative. What I'm trying to achieve has so many levels, and is different to every person, so have I already achieved it?

Case in point: Fiona Staples is a comic artist. And not to kiss up or anything, but she's in my top five of all time favorites, because I've seen her art grow in the short time I've been following her work, and it's really developed a unique flavor and style that you can immediately identify as hers. It's expressive without being overt. And I love the almost rough quality of her line work (But then I've always been a sucker for sketchy lines), but also the fact that it looks clean and crisp. To ME, Fiona is famous; she's been published not only by DC, but Marvel as well. She has a new monthly book coming out in July where she's the principal artist...and last year she did a stint as a fill in artist for the entire run of the Secret History of the Authority: Jack Hawksmoor.

I know Fiona, but only in passing. I've met her in person twice now, and each time I've barely gotten out a Hi and an explanation of what I'd like her to sketch (Both times were at Free Comic Book Day) because to me, I'm talking to a celebrity, and I get a little self-conscious and shy.

The thing is, she's famous for my perceived notions (and I'm sure others share them) so by that token...aren't I already famous by my own definition? I haven't been published by any major company, but I'm getting published in a small scale...I used to run a mildly successful web comic (500+ unique hits a day...not bad bask in 2003) and made a lot of fans...so to some degree, I'm kind of like Fiona in terms of fame. I'm known outside my circle of friends and family, and people are fond of my work.

So I've kinda already achieved this...now I just need to expand it. I've rambled, but the core of the idea is there: I've already sort of gotten to where I wanted to be, some 16-18 years ago when I was just a kid on a local TV show. I've got people who know me specifically for my work, even if I've dropped out of doing regular work in the past few years. Now I just need to focus on staying the course and increasing that notion of 'fame'...because as long as I have one fan out there, this is all worth it.

And maybe next year I'll say more than 'Hi, can you please draw Commissioner Gordon' to Fiona :P

2 comments:

  1. Ok, I'm embarrassed to admit I didn't exactly recognise you right away at FCBD... because, like you said, we'd only met once before and it was really brief, and on top of that it was a hectic day, and also I'm dumb...

    But next time just say you're Chris or Sketch and we'll have awesome hang-out times!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL I know! I'm a total tard for not saying anything more, but I got star struck and shy and all tongue tied.

    But next time! Next time I'll ask for a sketch and actually stick around and chat for a bit XD

    ReplyDelete