Thursday, January 3, 2013

Work is a Buzzkill

Some of you may be shocked to realize I don't write full time. Well, maybe no so much shocked as moderately amused. And by moderately amused I mean 'not interested in the slightest'.

I work for a company building their furniture and fixing things. I process returns of their product and try to recoup some of the losses and such. It isn't a BAD job, honestly, but it can be a very stressful one. Especially when I've had a head cold (which is now becoming a chest cold) since Christmas.

Frankly, work is probably the biggest obstacle to my writing and creativity. I work 8 hrs days, and when I work I tend to focus on the job at hand. It's a good work ethic, but it's mostly my own sense of importance; if a job can't be done right, do it myself. I tend to take it to heart simply because I tend to be the one TO step up and do it right.

Still, like I said, it's not a bad job and it pays fairly well. But after a shift I'm worn out, tired, and cranky. Not at all in a mood for any sort of creativity or writing. I want to relax, decompress, and rest. Usually writing is the furthest thing from my mind. I've tried to counter this by writing before my shifts (when I work a closing one that is) and so far it has been working a little to my advantage. I don't get much done because I usually sleep as much as I can now that I'm sick as well, but every little bit helps, right?

I just need to find a way to motivate myself after my shift. So that instead of watching a movie or playing some games, I'm taking some time to do some writing and get one step closer to my goal and dream for the year. None of this was going to be easy, but I sure wish it was a little more manageable.

So, on to the project now that I've gotten my 'bitch-fest' out of the way: I've re-written a lot of the history and am presenting it as sort of a timeline.

My main question right now is what sort of tone should I take with the book? My gut tells me to speak directly to the reader, and be explanatory without over-simplifying things. Educate about the world and game, but without sounding like a lecture. I've not read a lot of source books in my day, but I've skimmed several, and this SEEMS to be the general theme: talk to the game master/whomever is running the game. Does this seem like a way to go, or is there some other way I should be looking at this?

2 comments:

  1. For a first RPG.
    Do as others do. Follow the mainstream. It is a TOUGH crowd.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll probably do a lot of things the same (such as the combat system or character creation) but I've never been one to skimp out or water down the story. It won't be easy, but I've gotta give it my best shot.

    ReplyDelete